Last Updated on
When it comes to reliability, the double and single action Taurus PT92 has built a great reputation since its first appearance in 1983. Known as a somewhat big and heavy 9mm gun, you can fire thousands of rounds out of this weapon without any failures.
Finding a good holster for the PT92 is important, and fortunately, there are several great options on the market. It’s important to understand that a holster needs to conceal, protect, and be easily usable for it to have great value. Considering this, we’ve found an excellent holster for the Taurus PT92 that really delivers on functionality.
Get Deals on Guns and Tactical Gear
Join 70,000 Readers For Our Weekly Discounts
GET MY DISCOUNTS
Table of Contents
Our Top Pick: Barsony Gun OWB Belt Holster
After exhaustive research, we have found that the Barsony Gun OWB Belt Holster is the best holster for concealing and carrying the PT92. It serves as a well-made outside the waistband holster that has a great shaping for concealment and a quality build quality for years of use.
The holster is constructed of strong ballistic-grade Cordura nylon, which means that it won’t fray and become damaged while you use it. It’s also padded with closed-cell foam, which is a good feature for overall comfort. Finally, it has an adjustable thumb break so that you can use this holster for your other daily carry weapons as well.
• This is made of very strong materials. The stitching is strong, it has a nice and padded body, and it even has a belt clip that is made of steel.
• This holster also has a pouch for a magazine, which is pretty handy in a firing situation.
• The adjustable thumb break also gives you some versatility when it comes to what you want to carry.
• Since things like sweat and oils can ruin a gun, it’s good that this holster is moisture-proof.
• While there is a decent level of trigger protection, a small amount of the trigger guard is left exposed.
• Since the adjustment for the thumb break is made of Velcro, it can wear out over time.
How to Choose the Best Taurus PT92 Holster
This is an excellent gun that has some excellent attributes. It’s heavy enough to feel good in the hands and even has a stainless steel option. For a good review of the PT92, check out the weapon walkthrough and review on Kotaboy32’s Youtube channel.
The gun’s overall quality aside, what should you look for in a holster for this weapon? Let’s take a look at some of the features that we think you should look out for.
Some Important Attributes
There are several key features that make a great handgun holster for concealed carry, so let’s take a look at a few:
Where you carry your weapon is important. Some people like an in the waistband (IWB) design and others like outside the waistband (OWB) holsters. Whichever you pick, it’s important for you to have an easy draw and comfortable overall carrying. Let’s take a look at some available carry systems in a more in-depth manner.
• IWB: Worn around the one o’clock positioning, in the waistband holsters fit snugly against your body. Many carriers consider these to be very comfortable as they fit well on the hip.
Since these add a bit of size to your waist, it usually means that you should purchase jeans that are at least two sizes larger at the waist.
Additionally, since these are flush against your skin, it’s crucial that your gun holster has some waterproofing so that bodily oils and sweat can’t damage your firearm.
• OWB: These fit neatly on the hip as well, just on the outside. There are typically two carry systems for over the waistband holsters; clip on or belt loop. In fact, some holsters have both systems simultaneously.
It’s crucial to select a clip that has a strong construction so that it will hold on snugly to your waistband. The last thing you want is to accidentally draw your holster with your firearm!
Also, this type of holster is slightly harder to conceal than the IWB-style. This is because you’ll typically need a jacket to fully conceal the holster from view, which makes this type not as effective in warmer climates.
• Pocket: If you want a high degree of concealment, then there are few concealment methods that are stronger than the pocket-style. These holsters are typically designed to underplay the size and shaping of a firearm so that it will look like you have a wallet or phone in your pocket.
If there was ever a gripe with this style of holster, it’s that it can totally take up your entire pocket, which means that you won’t be able to carry a wallet or cell phone. Additionally, since these go inside your pocket, if the trigger guard isn’t well protected, there can be an accidental discharge.
• Shoulder: Shoulder holsters take a bit of practice to use effectively, but they definitely have their merits. These use a strap-on system that can hold two guns at once and place the firearms under your arms. Typically, you’ll have to cross draw with a shoulder holster.
These can be very useful for most people, but it’s important to have these fit snugly to your body so that you can draw easier.
When it comes to waistband holsters, many people prefer the so-called “FBI cant.” Cant refers to the angle that you draw your firearm from. The FBI cant slightly tilts the gun forward so that you can draw more naturally, and while this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, angling your gun can be useful
This can save your life. Retention is how well the holster can hold the gun in place. Simply put, the last thing you need is for your gun to slip out of your holster, which is why a good holster will have a thumb break snap or have a gun-specific gripping ability that will snap the weapon firmly into place and keep it there.
Alternative Taurus PT92 Holster Reviews
When it comes to materials, synthetics are a good choice for lastingness and build quality. This polymer holster by IMI RSR Defense has a lot to offer the PT92 owner.
• The coverage for the trigger guard on this holster is very comprehensive. There’s very little chance of accidental trigger actuation.
• You can adjust this holster with an allen key. This provides a high and stable amount of adjustability.
• If you like a retention that clicks the weapon into place securely, this may be the holster for you.
• This will fit the PT92 with an accessory rail.
• Its polymer shell is strong and will resist imperfections like scratches and scuffs.
• The retention device can take a bit of adjustment for a secure PT92 fit.
• This holster can ride a bit highly on your side.
• For some reason, there have been manufacturing defects with this holster that will make it almost completely incompatible with the PT92. Fortunately, the manufacturer is very responsive.
This Cytac hard shell holster has a paddle design similarly to the IMI RSR Defense that we just reviewed. It is also comprised of the same tough polymer synthetic material as that holster, which means that this is a durable option.
• This holster is built with the ability to adjust the cant so that you can select the ideal angle for drawing.
• It has a locking and release mechanism that is very good for holding the gun in place but won’t make it hard to draw. This mechanism also makes this a holster that makes accidental actuation nearly impossible.
• The polymer used in this holster is very strong so that you won’t accidentally damage it during daily wear.
• It’s curved so that it fits well against your body.
• It has a nice fit that will accommodate several gun types like the Glock 17 and 19 as well.
• This may be a little loose for some firearm owner’s tastes.
• The trigger guard button clicks the retention mechanism into place somewhat loudly.
• The rubber paddle clip can dig into the hip somewhat.
• The leather on this product is double-stitched that adds a lot of durability to the already durable material.
• The design of this holster is very concealing. It has a sloping and rounded design that will make it harder to see the gun outline under your waistband.
• The dark coloration of the leather is very attractive.
• The clip is also very strong so that you won’t accidentally draw the whole holster when you need your weapon.
• This is a very comfortable holster to use.
• As a leather product, it may take a bit of breaking in for it to perform at its best.
• It doesn’t accommodate any rail accessories for your PT92.
• The leather on the inside edge should be a little bit thicker to protect the gun from sweat.
There’s a lot to love in the Taurus PT92, but you definitely want to have a good holster that can manage its slightly hefty weight. All of the holsters that we’ve covered here are of a high degree of quality that will help you easily draw your PT92 when you need to and will keep it safe at your hips.
Each holster definitely has a great design, but for our money, the Barsony Gun OWB Belt Holster simply wins out as the better holster. It’s made of some great Cordura nylon, has a magazine pouch for convenience, and is a comfortable holster for your daily carry.